Robin Williams standup for Spielberg during the making of Schindler’s List

Last week an article was published from the Jewish Daily Forward discussing the a relationship between Steven Spielberg and Robin Williams during the making of Schindler’s List. As we have discussed in class, Schindler’s List is the Holocaust movie. Fittingly, I have always been a big fan of Robin Williams, so when I saw this article I knew I had to post about it.

Unsurprisingly, the article on The Forward discusses how the making of Schindler’s was emotionally draining for Steven Spielberg, as I’m sure it was for other involved in the process. The author underscores, “Full immersion in the facts of mass genocide for months or years on end is psychological torture, whatever accolades or payment one may receive for it.”

Robin Williams sought to attempt to ease some emotional tension through the employment of comic release. Spielberg describes:

“He would do 15 minutes of stand-up on the phone. I would laugh hysterically … he’d always hang up on you on the loudest, best laugh you’d give him. Drops the mic, that’s it.”

The author says, “Williams, who Spielberg knew from directing him in the movie “Hook,” was indispensable,” during the process.

I found this article when looking on the Jewish Daily Forward for possible subjects to write blog posts about. 

https://forward.com/schmooze/400080/robin-williams-did-standup-for-spielberg-during-schindlers-list/?attribution=articles-featured-subsection-item-2-headline