Employee at Anne Frank House Barred from Wearing Kippa

I recently came across an article about a young man who had been asked to not wear his kippa upon his first day at work at the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam. The article details how the young man had to wait an additional six months after the incident to submit a formal request to wear his skull cap on religious grounds. The articles cites the statement from the museum that their policy was in the name of ‘neutrality’ and not wanting to have the presence of religious symbols that could be seen as possibly divisive. Wanting to get a feel for what the response to this incident was, I decided to delve into the comments section of the article. Many cried political correctness and how inappropriate the idea of seeing it necessary to remove signs of ‘Jewishness” and for once I would have to agree with those comments. I feel like this incident and the idea of trying to maintain religious neutrality (whatever that looks like) when dealing with the Holocaust in a part of a larger issue that we have examined in this course. As the Holocaust has become more and more universalized, the fact that the Holocaust was a event that sought to bring about the end to the world’s Jewish population. And it is almost laughable to see universal applicability of the Holocaust to be held to a higher importance that remembering that the the Holocaust was an atrocity committed to the Jewish people.

One Reply to “Employee at Anne Frank House Barred from Wearing Kippa”

1. I find it completely insane that the museum would want to remain religiously neutral when the museum itself is to commemorate lives effected by religious persecution. I definitely agree that maintaining religious neutrality is a trend we see today, and this is not the place for that sort of action.