Holocaust Survivor Calls Out Trump

I have been having a hard time finding more things to write about in my blog so I ended up just typing “Holocaust” in twitter and seeing if anything came up and this was something that really caught my eye. I’m not sure it would be considered pop culture, but I know that I couldn’t find it anywhere else on the internet other than on twitter and there were a lot of likes on it as you can see. It was not trending, but I think that this is something that is important to share.

Someone calling out Trump and American government on not being patriotic is actually hilarious because the whole idea behind Trump being President is that he will bring America back to what it once was, back to being patriotic basically. The fact that it is a Holocaust Survivor makes it even better because someone who underwent some of the worst atrocities is calling out our president for taking in refugees and not upholding America’s core values. It is honestly just a huge slap in the face to America overall. He literally went so far as to say that the government was “trashing American values” which ought to be a huge problem for our government since that is exactly what they have been claiming to uphold since they have gotten into office.

I think this is really powerful because before World War II we know that America was not willing to let in Jews despite the fact that we knew they were being persecuted. Now, we have to ask ourselves, why aren’t we letting in these refugees? Are we making the same mistakes?

2 Replies to “Holocaust Survivor Calls Out Trump”

1. I think this is very interesting. As we have seen time and time again, many survivors believe are very grateful for America. When we went to the Holocaust museum, the survivor who talked was very enthusiastic about his love for America. I think it is telling that Holocaust survivors are now calling into question the government and “American core values” because of our President. It illustrates that our President does not appeal to many who were very supportive and thankful to the American government before.

2. I think that this is is very interesting and relevant to the climate in the US currently. That fact that this perspective comes from a Holocaust survivor also holds a lot of value because they have lived through a time where they themselves were a refugee. I also think your question “Are we making the same mistakes?” causes us to look inward in how we handle these situations and to make sure we are upholding our values.